KidZKount Head Start is committed to ensuring all children are ready for school, families are ready to support their children’s learning, and schools are ready for children. Along with clear and strategic goals for children and highly qualified and diverse staff, KidZKount ensures children’s success by:
Individualization for Children
Each child receives an individualized educational program based on his/her strengths and needs. Children are provided with the opportunity to participate in activities that support math, science, art, drama, language and culture. Children leave KidZKount Head Start prepared for kindergarten, excited about learning, confident in their own abilities and ready to succeed.
Highly Qualified Staff
KidZKount is committed to employing classroom teachers that are highly qualified and demonstrate competencies in early care and education and child development. All Head Start teachers have an Associate’s degree or higher in Early Childhood Education or its equivalent. Staff represent diverse cultures and ethnicities, including more than 16 different languages.
Teaching staff receive monthly training to ensure on-going professional development of each staff. Staff participates in monthly group training sessions as well as in individual staff development plans that support his/her own professional growth and educational goal attainment.
Teachers are provided one-on-one and small group coaching for ongoing professional development in the field of child development. The coach and the Teacher work together to develop a coaching and mentoring plan which results in enhanced classroom interactions and classroom environments.
School Readiness Goals
The Head Start approach means children are ready for school and their families are ready to support them.
KidZKount developed expanded school readiness goals based on guidance provided in the School Readiness for All document developed by the National Center on Quality Teaching. There are 18 goals for all preschool aged children plus an additional 2 goals for dual language learners. KidZKount Head Start School Readiness goals are representative of the domains of the Head Start Early Learning Framework and are also aligned to the California State Preschool Learning Foundations and the State Common Core Standards. These school readiness goals address children’s development in the following five domains
- Approaches to Learning (Initiative, Curiosity, Cooperation, Persistence and Attentiveness, Music & Movement, Art, Drama)
- Cognition and General Knowledge ( Number Concepts & Relationships, Geometry, Measurement, Patterns, Scientific Skills, Knowledge of the Natural/Physical World, of Self, Family & Community, of History, and of People & the Environment)
- Language and Literacy Development (Book Appreciation, Early Writing, Phonological Awareness, Print Concepts, Expressive Language, Receptive Language, Alphabet Knowledge, English Language Development)
- Social/ Emotional Development (Positive Social relationships, Self-Concept & Efficacy, Self-Regulation, Emotional & Behavioral Health)
- Physical & Health Development (Gross Motor Skills, Fine Motor Skills, Health Knowledge & Practice)